Friday, September 6, 2013

Yanira Ramirez: Mini Blog

My name is Yanira Ramirez. I am senior at Rutgers. I have lived in Newark my whole life, and I was born here too. Living in Newark has allowed me to go to the Newark Museum, and the Newark library since I very little. I learn to love arts and crafts because of the Newark Museum. Growing up I would go take craft classes there; a program that offered a great deal of information about the arts, and even taught me to write stories. Years later, I am still writing. I love to write, and read.  My goal at some point is to start a small publishing company. I read almost anything, and everything. I also want to be a full time writer. I admire many writers today that are able to discuss sexuality, gender, culture, and what it means to be an American. Writers such as Junot Diaz are able to create short stories that discuss all those things within ten pages. The study of feminism will allow me to create another layer of thought in my stories. I also love to discuss gender and culture. I am hoping to learn more about both in the class. I also come from a very patriarchal family, and always felt sort of helpless in breaking that. I hope to learn about gender and women in order to understand more about breaking the mold my family insist on adapting. After my senior year in high school, I did a four week internship at City Without Walls in Newark where I was able to create an art project and have it displayed as an exhibit.Check out their website. I think they have so much to offer. The internship helped me learn about the visual, and how important images are. My favorite poet Forough Farrokhzad is not only talented, but many call her a feminist. Writing within the harsh rules of Tehran, she explored women sexuality, love, and sexism. 
Forough Farrokhzad: Taken from Google Images.




No comments:

Post a Comment