Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sima's Intro

Hello! My name is Sima. I am a first year student at Rutgers-Newark who is out here to figure herself out. I was born and raised in Bangladesh and I moved here in two-thousand and nine after completing seventh grade there. Once I moved here, I was immediately exposed to a whole new level of lifestyle which I did not have the slightest clue about. I was raised in a fairly conservative family and to us freedom meant to remain silent while the men of the house decided our future. And to this day, that theory still holds strong. But despite the reserved nature of my family, I still had basic ideas about what the art world was like and how it affected our general, most average day-to-day activities. My mother was an avid supported of my hobbies, whereas my father was the exact opposite, constantly reminding me that my hobbies can never turn into socially acceptable professions. So being the obedient daughter I was raised to be, I listened to them and began viewing my passions as just another mean of passing time. But even after all that, I still somehow managed to link myself to the wonderful world of art. Coming to the United States boosted that link and made it even firmer as I was presented with more than one option to choose from. Throughout high school, I never failed to take at least one art course per year, mainly practical art such as drawing and painting. But during senior year, I had decided to switch gear and learn about the origin of art rather than creating them myself. I took AP Art History and the amount of information I gained about our ever-changing surround is immense. Fast forwarding to now, I am in the track of Pre-Medicine yet would like to still connect myself to the art world. The conflict about gender and art falling under minority sections intrigue me greatly which is why I chose Art and Women to help me gain more knowledge about how art is more connected to us than we would like to accept. I would like to break the stereotypical barrier of women remaining inside as men support the family by learning more and more about the root of all issues and figuring a way out to stop them. I want to be free of all expectations and finally exploring the world for what it is not what we want it to be.
http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment