Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mini Intro: Christine LaPara

My name is Christine La Para I  have resided in Montclair, NJ for the last twenty years.  Professionally, I am the owner of an animal care business and I am also a dedicated student.  I am a transfer student at the Junior level with an intended major in Social Work. I chose to take this class because I love art and women's studies. As a woman, the many issues relating to feminism have shaped my life. I believe that feminism like art is omnipresent and affects every aspect of our lives collectively as a society.  Women artists and women as art objects often mirror the culture and ideologies of the time period and tend to be an indicator of the social climate. Therein lies my reasoning and observation that throughout history, art, women and feminism have been interconnected. When I think of feminism conceptually, I believe it goes beyond women's freedom and at it's root it is ultimately about equality and humanity.  Whether we as individuals or as a society oppress any group because of gender, race, class or religion we are all oppressed. I do not believe we can have a stable society until all of it's members are treated as equals and respected in their roles.
As a future social worker I am confident the lessons that I learn in this class will provide invaluable resources to my practice and deepen my understanding of the human experience.
In keeping with the blog's theme of art , women and feminism, I chose to post a piece from Kirsten Justesen.  The image struck me and seemed to embody the entire cause of feminism and art, echoing the sentiment of a Berger quote from our reading in Ways of Seeing, "To be a woman has been to be born within an allotted and confined space, into the keeping of a man".

To view more click here: http://momaps1.org/exhibitions/view/36

No comments:

Post a Comment