Sunday, September 8, 2013

Introductory Post

Hello everyone. I am Glenn Spencer and I am a sophomore in the Honors College program here at Rutgers Newark. I am currently working towards earning my bachelor’s degree in psychology and hopefully a master’s in social work shortly thereafter. After I obtain the previously mentioned degrees, I hope to become a successful adolescent psychiatrist and help teens and children through traumatic and emotionally challenging times. Growing up, I’ve had my fair share of emotional challenges and traumatic events to overcome- most, though, I’ve had to tackle on my own due to the fact that my parents were also heavily affected by said events and couldn’t even help themselves to come to terms with what had happened. As a child, and even as a young adult, no one should have to shoulder any burden, big or small, on their own. But it was the fact that I’ve had to shoulder such burdens on my own that I’ve grown and learned many things far beyond my years. Of the many things I’ve learned as a result of such hardships, one thing is that no one should have to take on life and its burdens alone. The other thing I’ve come to learn is that it is my job to help those who can’t help themselves and to be there for those people who don’t have someone to help shoulder their burdens. As a psychiatrist, I am bound to have more than a few female patients and from this class I hope to learn a bit about how the female mind works what makes women ‘tick.’ Seeing how the majority of this class is of the female gender, I wouldn’t be surprised if I learn more than a bit from all the heavy opinions and emotionally charged comments that will get thrown around the classroom. I look forward to the intellectual debates that will ensue and hope that the semester yields more laughter and mutual understanding than animosity between the sexes.

A man on top of the world juxtaposed by the same man bearing the weight of the world upon his shoulders.
Image taken from: 

A chart depicting the stages of adolescent development. Keep in mind that a single traumatic event at any stage prior to adulthood can be severely detrimental to an individual’s social-emotional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment