Saturday, September 14, 2013

Post 1 (The Male Gaze and the Oppositional Gaze)


The ultimate goal for some women is to impress men, and feed the male gaze. The male gaze is what men do to women, so they can determine if the women is of importance, to see if she serves a purpose. While, some women may not admit the male gaze is vital, and is needed to survive on a daily basis. Women get all dolled up to impress the male gaze, and in return they can be awarded by the attention from men. Women receive confidence and a sense of themselves, especially when it’s from the opposite sex. The male gaze deems powerful, due to women fulfilling the surveyor. Women learn early on to constantly survey themselves, and it appears to be more pressure on women when it’s the man who is the surveyor. Although, a women looking good can indeed be something for them their hair styles, nail colors, sexy clothing, among other things I began to wonder if this process is all for the male gaze?

The male gaze is pervasive in art and popular culture because gender comes into place. Men seem to be the dominant counterpart not just in art, but in general.  While, women artist have been around for decades, they were not acknowledge, and didn’t receive the same accolades as men. Women have been against all odds for centuries, from the slaves who could not gaze, and Caucasian women who also struggled against their male counterparts. Men artist appeared to be dominant, but women artist inferior. Men would use women for their art, but the women could not be the artist? It appeared women of all skin tones dealt with hardships, and struggled to unleash their talent. In the Guerilla Girls text they mention throughout Western history there were plenty of women artist, but women were not noticed, or should I say ignored. According to Guerilla Girls (1998), “But even after overcoming incredible obstacles, women artists were usually ignored by critics and art historians-who claimed that art by white women and people of color didn’t meet their impartial criteria for quality” (Guerilla Girls, 1998).

          Women continue to struggle in this day and age with the freedom of their talents. Discrimination is the issue at hand, and it remains till this day. While, women may have overcame some adversity discrimination remains to lie in the cracks of the pavement.  Men tend to obtain power, but women are just as equal and can hold down the fort. A man’s presence is linked to power, but yet a women’s presence is linked to beauty. The Berger reading hit the nail on the head, because it reminds me of a discussion we had in class about social media. The discussion touched based on women uploading pictures on social networks, and the number of likes we may receive determines the quality of the picture. People admiring our photos may determine how we feel about ourselves internally. The fact of the matter is, it really doesn’t or shouldn’t matter what people think especially men.

There is power in looking, and one could express their thoughts without speaking a single word. As a child, I was taught not to stare for a long period of time. “My mother would say Lutfiyyah that isn’t nice to stare at people.” Although, I wouldn’t stare I most definitely sneaked a peek. I have always thought how my looking constitutes as disrespect, being that there is a difference between staring and glancing. According to Hooks (1992), Subordinates in relations of power learn experimentally that there is a critical gaze, one that looks to document, one that is oppositional” (Hooks, 1992). The oppositional gaze dealt with discrimination, racism, sexism, and oppression all mixed in one. As I mentioned earlier, African American slaves were taught not to gaze at the other. Gazing at the other could lead to death at one time. According to Hooks (1992), “The politics of slavery, of racialized power relations, were such that the slaves were denied their right to gaze” (Hooks, 1992). Black women were good enough to take care of the white household, but don’t you dare look! The oppositional gaze for black women was all about resistance. Decades ago the cinema screen or television was a place where some southern blacks learned to look at white women. The oppositional gaze in my opinion was more of a defense mechanism. While, viewing a movie may have given a black caretaker a sense of joy, it came attached with a great deal of pain. My gaze may agree with what I see through my lens, or my gaze can be opposing.

I know we live in a world, where the male is said to be the dominant and powerful one. The woman in every aspect seems to suffer through the male dominating world. While, I may not know every women’s plight, we all have one in one way or another when dealing with the other regardless of race or color. Women came a long way, but we must continue to break down doors. I don’t understand all the negativity against women, and why it’s so hard to be accepted for who you are. Talent is just that talent, no matter if its male or female, one should be acknowledge for their accomplishments. Before taking this class, I didn’t realize how many female artists there were, and part of this is my fault for not doing the research. Jay-Z song “Picasso” had me researching the artist, but what about the many great female artists. At this point, I am now surveying myself, and asking myself questions.  I will admit, I am a surveyor of myself, but not to a critical extent, At times, I care what others think, and there are cases when I don’t give a hoot of the next person’s opinion. I believe, we all want to look our best or appear to be our best, and receive recognition in the process. Just to think, I researched a male artist, only because a male rapper's song speaks volumes. Art and women has taught me a few key things, and all of the knowledge I’m obtaining from this class will just add to the tools I already hold. The picture below is of artist Lorna Simpson. Lorna Simpson is the picture on the right , and I have had the pleasure of seeing some of her work at The Brooklyn Museum in 2011.



Lorna Simpson/ www.brooklynmuseum.org









No comments:

Post a Comment