Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mini Post: Steffie


Hi, my name is Steffie. This is my last year at Rutgers, and I am double majoring in English, as well as Women and Gender Studies. Apart from being an avid feminist, I am also an animal rights activist and a strict vegan. As a feminist, I see the correlation between animal rights and how they go hand-in-hand with one another. Much like women, animals are seen and used as commodities in which patriarchy deems it acceptable to take over "weaker" beings. Cows are raped for their milk via forced artificial insemination much like women are seen as objects where men feel entitled to a woman's body.
My personal goal is to ultimately get into a doctorate program for English with a concentration in women's studies and to become a Professor of both English and Women's studies. My hope is to be able to teach classes about why feminism is necessary in vegetarian/veganism, and vice versa. That being said, this class fits perfectly into my studies, my future and my goals. Feminism is all about gender equality, and art can shape and portray a means of how to attain that equality, or show why feminism is needed in images of gender inequality.

The image I chose is an important part of what feminism fights for. It can be found on deviantart.com by the artist YammieDoo. This piece is called Feminist.    Here is a page on deviantart strictly for feminist art in all mediums: http://dafeminist.deviantart.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment