Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Introductory Post :)



Hello! My name is Tehreem Khalid and I am a sophomore here at Rutgers University in Newark. The major I intend to explore at college primarily is Psychology as human thought and behavior in general interests and intrigues me and I wish to discover more in that area. I do like the idea of going for a career as a therapist in the future, however I wouldn’t like to set it in stone since time can bring about many changes, which may also include personal opinions and preferences. Throughout high school I underwent such changes majorly as that was the time when I learned to question the norm since I myself found it a difficult task to fit in this strange society where people seem to follow the same cycle of life without thinking much of anything outside of it. I began observing more and interestingly found many others who couldn’t exactly fit in with the norms as well but forced themselves to change regardless just so that they could find friends and companions. I had actually tried that trick myself at one time but then gave up on that later on since I felt that it was painful for my soul, it also made me appreciate the strength of other to be able to change themselves against their will. I then decided to embrace my own individuality and soon found others like myself who turned out to be some of the best friends I could’ve wished for. Over time through meddling in this area further I learned how no one’s really “normal” as we know it, that we are all born with our own uniqueness which sadly becomes limited through our lives as we sort of adapt to the norms that are dictated to us by the mainstream media around us. Personally I connect the reasons of the media industry’s actions to those pointed out in books like 1984 by George Orwell and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. So how does this course in particular relate to all this apart from being a possible requirement for Newark students? To me, Art and Women seemed like yet another branch that explored the norms of society’s perception of the female gender and how they still persist in our society today. I merely wish to learn more of how the degradation of women is expressed throughout cultures and religions other than my own.

 

Found this picture to follow the idea of that same cycle of norms that I discussed above. Here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mysticpolitics/6309809350/

No comments:

Post a Comment