Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mini Blog: Lutfiyyah Kelly

Allow me to introduce myself, by first saying if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything. My name is Lutfiyyah Kelly, and I was born and raised in Newark, New Jersey. Lutfiyyah stands for kind and gentle. While, I may obtain these attributes I can be pretty rough around the edges. I stand firm in my beliefs for equality of all women, and at times I have no filter. I began my race for greatness in September of 2011 at Rutgers, and I will not stop until I reach the finish line. My major is Social Work, and I will be a great social worker, due to the tools I've obtain throughout the years, and will learn in the future. While, I may not have rallied in the Women's Suffrage Movement, I'm a true feminist at heart. I believe in women's rights, and is all for women power to the fullest extent. I'm a women who will make difference not only for me, but others as well. I didn't fully realize until this week how art plays a part in my life on a daily basis. Art is not just a painting, but more of a freedom. Women create art everyday, from the way we style our hair, the clothes we bare, and even our nails are all pieces of art. I have often heard the saying "It's a man's world," but women are the true artist. Women are the creators of life, and that is an art. My life relates to art as I paint my portrait everyday I get closer to my dreams, and feminism plays a vital role in me obtaining my goals. The picture in closed is of Sojourner Truth, and her famous speech "Ain't I a Women" remains powerful till this day. Sojourner was an African American abolitionist, and a women's right activist.
Sojourner Truth: www.wikimedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment