Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Introductory post :D

Hey there! My name's Margaret Sanchez but people tend to call me Lis as an abbreviation of my middle name (Elisabeth). Technically a Junior college student while attending this college campus for a total of four years now. I have delayed my graduation date since late in the game, I realized I fell out of love with graphic design, and changed my major to Art History roughly about a year ago. It took a couple of classes to realize that both of my favorite subjects combined had a world of mystery of unlocked doors I needed to open for myself.  Even though delayed in graduating, something I used to think was a terrible life-or-death scenario, I will be prideful of having accomplished one of the many goals in my life once I jump the hurdle. I still want to continue my pursuit of studying linguistics since I am already multilingual and I see foreign languages as another art that ties into my major.  I love traveling, graphic novels/comic books,  as well as manga/anime (Japanese graphic novels and animation, respectively). Overall, I love the visual and performing arts. I travel to other locations when possible for comic book, video game, or anime conventions as it is one of my hobbies apart from creating costumes to wear at these events. One of my favorite costumes was one I debuted at New York Comic Con 2012: the 1960s version of Black Widow's outfit from Marvel's comic book series "Tales of Suspense." As I progressed in my studies while having my personal ups-and-downs, I found that more often than not, various things kept appearing in my life. The topic of feminism actually started to become common in my hobby of interest which is known as cosplay--a combination of the words costume and play. Feminism was also a bit of an exposure to me once I made friends in the cosplay community who considered themselves feminists even prior to incidents in which harassment (sexual and verbal) occurred to various females and males of the same community. Currently, I am taking a women and gender studies class along with this course and in a sense I think it's great. I really do not know much about Feminism or the extremities and sub-level categories of it. It's an unknown world to me which I want to understand because sometimes it is exposed to me in very overwhelming manners. The more I explore, the more I realize that maybe I am a little bit feminist without realizing it and I like to explore this culture or idea--I'm still new to this term to fully understand how to perceive it--that has me taking these classes. This semester should be interesting.

1964 Black Widow from "Tales of Suspense" series
The photo was taken by the photographer: 8B!T Ambitions
You may find if interested, my page (currently not updated) of costumes here 8D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment