Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Intro Post

Greetings to everyone, my name is Kevin Vasquez and this is my first year here at Rutgers, so at times I am overwhelmed by everything that tends to go on during class time but I am getting the hang of things. I was not born here in America, my family comes from El Salvador which is a small Hispanic country found in the middle of Central America. I am however the first generation in my family to be raised here in America and thus its sometimes difficult to relate to the culture and upbringing that my mother had and experienced during her teenage years and young adulthood. Its safe to say that I pretty much grew up here in Newark, NJ as this is where the majority of my immediate family lives so we decided to remain close to one another. My academic goals are to not only graduate from Rutgers, but to also learn and expand my understanding of the world around me, history was always interesting to me, and I know that Art history will also be interesting to me. While I took an Art class in high school, women were not mentioned much at all so I hope to learn about the many women in Art history who were influential to the art we observe today. "Feminism" was a word that was never mentioned and one I never heard while growing up so its an untouched topic for me besides briefly discussing it in high school. I know for a fact that I'll be able to understand and know what feminism means by the end of this semester and walk away a more knowledgeable person. My professional goal is to one day become a pediatrician and this class will help in widening my range of knowledge and interest to relate to the many people I'll end up meeting on the journey towards reaching my goal.

The image below speaks to me as this is what my mother has made me come to realize not just about herself but about the many women in the world who hold many demanding jobs, both physically and mentally. As the quote states "We Can Do It!" women are capable of anything that men can do and go through a lot more pain, and struggle so much more in their respective lives to prove it. She has unknowingly made a lasting impact on my life and one that I will never forget about the strength that women have.


Artist: J. Howard Miller
Image: Poster made in 1943 during the World War II era to show the strong women production workers of that time. Known as "We Can Do It!" but also referred to as "Rosie The Riveter".

No comments:

Post a Comment