Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Semester Project_ Update Erin Kropilak

For my semester project I am focusing on female artists in Southwest Asia and India that challenge social constructs. Through an online zine and maybe physical coffee table book I am going to curate my own exhibit using these women. I am interested in the voice of the female artist in these countries and how they address contemporary issues in places that are more patriarchal then the western world.  As an art historian and anthropologist, by academic study, and crafter by nature this encompasses all interests of mine. 

Through my zine and exhibition book I would like to create more exposure to art and culture in general. I would like to curate this in a format that is easily accessible to all audiences, sprinkled with enough historical and social content to inform the viewer but not scare them away from turning the page or reading the next zine. My goal is to have several volumes that expose people to diverse cultures through art so that people are better informed and maybe more accepting of differences.

Resources:
Women Artists in the 20th and 21st Century by Taschen
The Grace of Four Moons by Pravina Shukla
The Fertile Crescent :Gender, Art, Society by Judith Brodsky
http://www.esamskriti.com/essay-chapters/A-tribute-to-the-Indian-Women-11.aspx
http://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/naila-kabeer/grief-and-rage-in-india-making-violence-against-women-history



  • Shakunta Kulkarni
  • Shirin Neshat
  • Rani Jha
  • Arpita Singh
  • Nalina Malani
  • Gogi Saroj Pal
  • Sheela Gowda
  • Hema Upadhyay
  • Anita Dube
  • Tejal Shah
  • Vesudah Thozhur


1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of exploring Southeast Asia and India because Americans, as ignorant as most of us are about the majority of the world, are especially clueless about what is going on in those areas and have many preconceived notions about Southeast Asia and India that tend to be false. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete