Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Project Proposal (Revised): The Art of Hair

The idea of hair has always been of tremendous interest to me and has been a significant focus throughout my life.  I have had people question my choice in how I wear my hair and whether it is my own hair. I have chosen do a performance art project which will include a brief history of the cultural dynamics of hair in the African American community. I will be including a collage/photomontage as well.  I will address my own issues with hair, challenges and the diversity of hair within our community.  I have also asked some friends to let me into their world of hair as hair has different significances for all of us.  I work in a corporate environment currently and have also asked a few of my co-workers to share their hair through modeling and photos with me.  Additionally, I will include a look at Hair Shows and their popularity and the art that these stylist create through the appendage of hair.

I have been inspired to step out of my comfort zone which is writing and expose myself as well as my friends in this look at hair and how it affects our daily life. How we choose to style our hair is a daily work in art.  Since I currently work with a diverse multinational staff and client base, I intend this piece to enhance my ability to reach diverse audiences. My research skills and historical knowledge in this endeavor will add to my goal of becoming a history professor or academic advisor in a university or college.  I believe being able to be open and be approachable is essential to being a successful person when dealing with different individuals.  I am approaching the project from the standpoint of a cultural background because it has been a topic in whatever environment I have been in my life.

I was inspired to do a performance art project by Adrian Piper and the video of Marina Abramovic: Art Must be Beautiful.

Working Resource List:

  1. African American First: Famous, Little Known and Unsung Triumphs of Blacks in America by Joan Potter.
  2. A History of African American Hair by Allison Joseph.
  3. A Shining Thread of Hope: The History of Black Women in America by Darlene Clark Hine.
  4. Hair in African Art and Culture: Museum for African Art and Culture New York, NY February 9-May 28, 2009, reviewed by Christine Mullen Kreamer.
  5. The Politics of Hair by Lori S. Robinson.
  6. Bronner Bros. Hair Show Atlanta
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxI8lYb-GEw








5 comments:

  1. Good idea for a project. I don't know if you've seen Chris Rock's movie about hair, but it could have some ideas to use if you look past all the comedy. Also, breaking out of your comfort zone is hard believe me I know. But, this could be best for your project. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today elaborate hairstyles like Lady Gaga’s are deemed controversial and radical but in the Roman times the more complex and outrageous a hairstyle the more attractive she was because she spent hours perfecting her style which indicated a person's wealth. I like your idea. I would also suggest you look at the ancient historical context of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Neil. I would also suggest looking at the writing and TV show of Melissa Harris Perry. You should also look at bell hooks writing about hair. One part of her essay Straightening Our Hair is included here: http://www.zcommunications.org/straightening-our-hair-by-bell-hooks.html She also wrote a children's book called Happy to be Nappy! http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Be-Nappy-Jump-Sun/dp/0786804270 I would also suggest a short film by a very young woman named Kiri Davis called A Girl Like Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BxFRu_SOw

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Robeson gallery on campus is currently having an entire exhibition about hair. You could take a look at the work of artist So Yoo Lym

    http://www.soyoonlym.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot. I would recommend using one of the movies that demonstrate the difference in hair with popularity and how hair shows what kind of person you are in society's views. For example, the movie "You Again" i found it hilarious how the hot girl had the shiny flowy hair. Or maybe one of the hair commercials the show the "expected" type of hair.

    ReplyDelete