Thursday, November 14, 2013

Art and Women in Islam

For my semester project, I want to make a short documentary. I wanna focus the documentary on numerous interviews that I'll be conducting in which I'll be asking Muslim scholars on not only their view upon art and women but also what the religion itself says about it. The media portrays Muslim women as being confined and or subjugated however, me being a Muslim woman myself, know that thats not true. Thats why I want to make this documentary. I want to show my audience which is going to be people who have no knowledge about what Islam is, what the true meaning of being a Muslim woman is. I am going to interview Muslim women and even men and get the reasoning why they wear a hijab and how they feel art affects the religion. Arabesque art plays a huge role in Islamic art with its intricate designs in architecture and calligraphy. I want to get what exactly Islam says about Art out in the open. 

http://artsandislam.com/category/blog
http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/museum-departments/curatorial-departments/islamic-art

2 comments:

  1. You should check out the book I'm using "The Fertile Crescent: Gender, Art and Society." All the artist are from female the Middle East and Middle East diaspora and talk about their religious and political view alongside their work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you already know that i absolutely love this idea. I would recommend getting some verses from the Qur'an that actually go to prove the misconceptions wrong. We both know that a lot of people think many things are stated in it, that really aren't. That should be your basic source.

    ReplyDelete