Thursday, November 14, 2013

Project Proposal

Semester Project

For my semester project I want to look at the increasingly more popular business of art. Art as a commodity and the commercialization of art through would be the main point of emphasis. I would look at artists that not only present their art for a function of selling, but artist that produce art in a way that symbolize the means of production. A key point in commercialized art is the ability to mass-produce. I would compare Art that is mass-produces, Artists that create paintings at a higher rate, and paintings that are uniquely valuable (Picasso, MirĂ³, and mainly the Renaissance artists.
            My goal is to be able to compare works of Andy Warhol, Jen Bekman, and other modern artists to the painters of Renaissance and how their works are viewed/priced. These comparisons would be in the shape of how their art is produced and made available to the public. I would use the concept of commercializatoion from Martin S. Lindauer’s Mass-Produced Art: Towards a Popular Aesthetics.
            As a student of Biology, it is quite hard to make a project in art to eclipse both spheres of knowledge. My project reflects more an interest of mine in a globalized and commercialized world rather than my major and aspirations of a profession. 

Martins. Lindauer, Mass-Produced Art: Towards a Popular Aesthetics


Whitney Chadwick’s book

1 comment:

  1. This is a really cool topic to explore. You should defiantly do more research and include more resources. But overall your ideas are good !!

    ReplyDelete