Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Proposal...The Male Gaze

My project is slowly, but surely coming about. I chose to create a slideshow on the male gaze because it remains a crucial problem in our society today. The gaze is fed on a daily basis, and with my project I want to present the facts through using a slideshow. The male gaze is a broad topic, and I want to touch base on all aspects. The gaze in art, cinema, pop culture and media. Masculine dominance continues to be in full affect, and women are the target. My message is to all women, especially young women coming of age. I want to inform and inspire women to be who they are, and not what they see in the media. I will use some pictures or a picture of artist Cindy Sherman who touches base on the male gaze, and the stereotyping of women with her 1981 Centerfolds. The male gaze has been around for decades, and it dominates the world around us. In a sense, women are mere objects, sex symbols, and they must play they part or not get the part. Young women coming up will be surveyed, by the surveyor if not already. It doesn't have to be on the consumer terms or should I say the male. Men can survey you all they please, but one should not inspire to be a beauty queen.


"References"


Bell, Hooks. In Black Looks: Race and Representation. Boston: South End Press, 1992.
Berger, John. Way of Seeing. London: Penguin Book and BBC, 1972.
Bowen, Sesali. A Hip Hop Feminist Questions the "Male Gaze," 2013.

Chadwick, Whitney. Women, Art, and Society. London: Thames and Hudson, 2002.


4 comments:

  1. I found a blog that talks about the definition of the male gaze. Here is the link that can definitely help you with your research http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/faq-what-is-the-%E2%80%9Cmale-gaze%E2%80%9D/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest trying to make a survey of about 10 women and 10 men and see if they know about the male gaze. see if they apply it to their daily lives by some example. For example, ask the women if they know men are looking at them, and if they act more appealing for that fact. For the men you can ask if the admit to looking at women as an object.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest trying to make a survey of about 10 women and 10 men and see if they know about the male gaze. see if they apply it to their daily lives by some example. For example, ask the women if they know men are looking at them, and if they act more appealing for that fact. For the men you can ask if the admit to looking at women as an object.

    ReplyDelete