Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cover or Uncover? -Updated Proposal

It is tough to combine culture and religion together especially when the doctrines of them both are clashing. For instance, Bangladesh is known for its cultural aspects. Singing and acting are two of the leading art factors in Bengali culture along with playing instrument, specifically string instruments. However, 83% of Bangladeshis are Muslim, and within Islamic dogma, playing any instrument, mainly string instruments are highly prohibited. Not limited to just playing instruments, Bangladeshis are also known for performing classical dances as well as singing along with the instruments and in Islam, doing either of those things are considered sinful. And the main issue other than the cultural and religious opposition is that majority of these arts are performed by female members of the society. So even though women are exposed to the arts, they still are unable to participate in them due to religious restrictions.
In my proposal, I wish to create a photographic depiction of two different lives of a Muslim woman who was taught both sides of the scales and how that affected her decisions in life. I am planning on creating a Tumblr blog which I will be updating constantly with contrasting photos of my life and how I lead it differently as I try to follow both the teachings of my culture as well as my religion. The photos I am planning on using will include my self-portraits as well as my own artworks that reflect my subconscious, conflicting thoughts. Is it possible for a woman to appreciate her art induced culture while at the same time follow through with the dogmas of her religion? how can a person who has been raised to follow the religious teachings at the same time as understanding the culture and its traditions simply follow one route over the other?





Bibliography:

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post I had no idea that in Bangladesh that singing was one of the common arts. I also enjoyed the part were you plan to tie religion and culture. I am really excited about seeing the photographs depicting the life of a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love and support your bold attempt to break away from the religious traditions of mankind. This project is definitely a radical move. I recommend you take a look the reading "Why have there been no great women artists". I believe it will help strengthenen your project the more. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Art work will set off this project. I'm really interested to see more about the Bangladesh cultural aspects. I believe the tumblr blog will create a traffic especially for other girls and women just like you! Go for it and I wish you the best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea that you are creating a tumblr post of i\pictures of yourself and your own artwork. I think its very creative and I like how the project shows more about you and your religion/culture. I am excited to see what kind of artwork you will present to us on the tumblr blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I have always found the relationship between culture and religion fascinating. Because too often outside observers (especially from the West), confuse and contrive the two. However,conflicting issues do not only arise from outsiders, they also develop from those who's religion has become entangled with their culture. I can relate to this topic as someone who was raised Muslim, but has had to struggle with cultural exceptions from both my American and Algerian cultures. I am looking forward to the development of your project. I also think that the fact that you're using your own art work adds another personal aspect to the project, which is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a Pakistani, I can also understand the strange confusions of coming from such a conflicting background where both culture and religion are given equal importance but this respect for both of them isn't reciprocated in our society's levels of tolerance (our people LOVE policing and judging each other). It creates a frustrating environment where you following one path can be perceived by others as breaking the rules of another >.< I'm curious as to how you're going to incorporate religion in your work, will it have references to the doctrines of the Quran or the Hadiths as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really cant wait to see this. I am one of those females who are stuck in between cultures and trying to satisfy both. You should interview some one else from the same culture who might have taken a road away from Islam rather than closer to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your project idea, I suggest working in a critique of western Orientalism. You could talk about how specifically the Western media depicts muslim women in the broader cultural spectrum of social life and how that affects the way Islam is viewed globally.

    ReplyDelete