Sunday, November 17, 2013

Proposal: Poems of the Harlem Renaissance

At the end of Chadwick's book that we have reviewed this semester, there is a small insertion about women during the Harlem Renaissance. The women during this time, where mainly into poetry,spoken and short stories among the community. My project will go into detail about 3 influential women during that time period, while also displaying their works. From each artist 4 works will be printed and put into a jar which i will present to the class on presentation day. The jar represents the containment of the Harlem Renaissance, and what it meant to the blacks within  the community. I also wanted to present the artist Adrian Piper that I feel has so much to bring into my illustrations. This period of history represented the educated black that wanted more and had plenty of knowledge of what needed progression and how to get it there.

This project represents me because I am a African American woman that has very strong feelings about the progression of blacks within the arts. I believe that arts are not taken seriously within the community and it is something that I personally want to put back into the generation behind me. Art in any form can change a life and help inner city children fight the demons that approach them every single day. My community is loosing so many young talented individuals to violence. So my proposal will not only represent something for the class but also help me begin to have a better idea and plan to execute to start my non-profit organization.

The Poets I will include are:
Helena Johnson
Alice Dunbar-Nelson
Nikki Giovanni


6 comments:

  1. It is never a bad idea to dive into heritage and Art that expresses one's ideals. It is awesome that you are working on something that is very influential to your life and i look forward to hearing about it. I especially like the jar idea, i think it is very creative and unique although i do have a question about its function. How will the pieces of Art be shown in that jar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an amazing idea to do. Not only are you going to be writing about black women, but you, as a black woman yourself, understand the meaning of "black" art all the more. So, your non-profit will have to do with African Americans in the art world? You should even think about getting your poems published in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love poetry. Poetry and any form of writing is as much an art in my opinion as that of visual, digital and performing arts. The fact that this focus is important to you on a personal level but that of your community and heritage shows great promise and I can't wait to see how you're going to present this. Also, I'm very excited and supportive of your determined idea for a non-profit organization. Though, as Steffie said, will it focus primarily on African Americans (Women, men or both?) in the art world? And I presume it's going to target youth to get further involved in the arts? I'm very curious to see how you progress with this. I'm excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing something similar. This is a great idea. How will this work of art live? Will it be online at some point? Maybe like a "virtual jar"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of poetry especially taken from the period of the Harlem Renaissance. The Harlem Renaissance represented a time period of great socioeconomic change and with that came inspiration for many artists.

    ReplyDelete