Thursday, November 14, 2013

Semester Project- Comic Book


What I am creating for the semester is a comic book based off of a character I created last semester named Reaper, but I never got the opportunity to really do anything with her. Currently, I am still in the process of writing out the script for the comic,which has proven to be more difficult and time consuming than I thought it would be. I'm about halfway done with the script simply because I keep going back and fixing a lot of the inner dialogue, as well as tweaking details for character descriptions, and panel layouts. 


My comic comes from the inspiration of the entire DC comics writing/storytelling style, as well as their art/layout style. The topic I am touching upon is patriarchy and the dismantling of such a system while still trying to make it broad enough to appeal to a mass audience. Ideally, I would like this comic to be aimed at anyone who reads comics already,as well as those interested in them, but the way things are going, my audience may be those interested in women's issues, feminism, and a feminist discourse within comics. If I were to put an age on it, I would say that mostly teens and young adults in college would read it.

The resources I am using so far are books and comics (Womanthology, DC comics, a book called "Feminist Quotes"). I'm still not quite sure if I will be able to incorporate everything I originally planned to incorporate simply because it doesn't fit my vision for what I want this comic to be. I chose to write this comic because I always planned on it,but had never gotten around to it. This class gave me the perfect opportunity to start it up and give it life. My goal is to get it published by Image or Dark Horse comics, but I know my chances are slim.

My message in this piece is about how patriarchy shapes society into a racist, sexist,corrupt system in which anyone who doesn't fit the mold of being a heterosexual, white male is subject to discrimination and injustice. Reaper is the part of myself that wants to battle that patriarchy and take it down. As an English major, this fits into my portfolio as a piece of writing (there's so much writing that goes into a comic,even if it's just a single issue). I have always wanted to be a comic writer. Perhaps with this project I will get closer to achieving that dream.

6 comments:

  1. I know you were apprehensive about finding a way to make your inked work digital, so I did a quick google search and found a basic tutorial. I also advise you take advantage of the lab on the 4th floor of Bradley hall. They have scanners and the lab manager is excellent at helping students do what they need to do.

    http://www.instructables.com/id/A-great-technique-for-scanning-your-inked-drawings/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like comics so I'm definitely feeling this idea! I also understand the issue you brought up in class. I use an outdated version of Photoshop and I can tell you from experience that it's not the most "natural" medium to work with (but that may be from my LACK of experience). You're already short on time, so you should probably go with the medium you feel most comfortable with (hand-drawing, right?) Coloring the comic digitally probably requires an expensive program, too. Not to discourage you, but you have to consider your remaining time...do you really think you'll be able to master the program before the deadline?
    In any case there's absolutely nothing wrong with hand-drawn comics! Digitally colored comics are more mainstream but there's definitely an audience for hand-drawn comics (myself included).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea is epic!! Taking some of the more serious story lines from the DC Universe and what we've learned in class this semester has the potential to be something amazing. I know you do not want to use digital means to ink your book, but do not rule it out just in case you have to go that route. Also, make sure you get the main ideas across. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a subplot to get the main theme to have more impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to see your work. Perseverance and hard work is going to be fundamental for you in achieving your dream as a comic writer. I believe this is going to be the beginning of your dream even if you do hand drawing I encourage you to do it. I am sure is going to be fabulous. These are links that you might want to check out http://thecomicacademy.com/telesummit/ and http://thecomicacademy.com/marketing-2/key-success-comic-industry/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possible the coolest idea ever! comic books are awesome. Tackling a problem such as patriarchy through comic books is a very interesting idea, even when patriarchy is kind of engrained in comic books themselves. Hand drawing the comics is interesting (since i have zero artist capabilities)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am just impressed that you are doing this. I was trying to think what I could add to your research on the idea. Yet, I couldn't really offer anything other than encouragement. I am just impressed by the artistic ability as I have seen you draw before. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete