Thursday, November 14, 2013

Final Project Proposal (Revised) - Street Art Syndicate

I have always been interested in street art. The mostly illegal works of art that pop up in a busy intersection or on the side of a bridge touches me in a way that I do not get from the acclaimed pieces you would see at MoMA or the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Of all of the well documented graffiti or street art, the amount of female influence is amazingly small. With what we have learned in class to this point, there is a laundry list of reasons why this is so, but the most obvious reasons are ego and the strive to keep power. This has been the case for what seems like the beginning of time. What I want to do with this project is to see if the discrimination level has changed significantly if at all. I know that there are still long strides ahead, but I want to see for if street artists somehow face less adversity than their peers from generations before.

Besides addressing the lack of known female presence in the street art community, I want to address the treatment that street art is getting. With the sudden rise in the popularity of the genre, the way in which it is discussed in settings is still along the lines of it being less than art. In most cases, it is still seen as downright vandalism. I want to address that in my final project.

I plan on creating a blog dedicated to street art. However, unlike some other sites, I want to encourage critical thinking. The overall goal is to get something started. I want to have a community driven site. You can upload art you have seen or created. What i truly want is for the community to comment critically. Treat the pieces shown as if they were produced by a legendary fine artist like Picasso or Van Gogh. With that said, the most ideal platform would be Tumblr or Facebook, or both. Since this will be community driven, I am going to need a way for everyone to access and add content.

In regards to my audience, it is going to primarily artists and people interested in art. Art historians and critics would be a very close second and the general public would third. In terms of research, I'm scouring the interwebs for other sites about street art to draw inspiration from as well as pegging particular artists I want to include in initial blogs. I'm also going to be sharing this on social networks in order to create some sort of following. I still have so much more to do, but things are looking positive at this stage in the game. 

If anybody has any suggestions or artists that I could look up that could add to the overall experience, that would be awesome!! Later days!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Try looking up cake, sheryo, lady pink and gilf! They all have websites and if you look through their posts you may be able to find other artist who may be less recognized. I would totally subscribe to your tumblr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this has great potential! I especially like that you're focusinng on equality before the artform is truly legitimized. A lot of people appreciate street art for what it is; yet, it hasn't truly crossed the boundary into "real" art yet. Personally, I'd love to see/get into how this work actually happens, and how the women's process might be different from men's when it comes to creating street art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may or may not be helpful but 'Yarn Bombing" has become a big thing in the past few years and is considered a form of street art. Check out London Kaye O'Donnell who is a NYC resident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think street art is one of the most underrated forms of expression, even though street art is very personal and political. Making a blog about this would be great because it allows a large amount of people to become aware of the form of art and its own set of problems. Would you let others be able to upload art from other places, and would you localize the art to a certain setting or would you attempt this project through a larger scope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have already spoken about this a bit. Think about audience and outreach as well as creating a platform that others can add (images and ideas) too - instagram, facebook etc. % pointz is very interesting now, but there is so much more. Be sure to include women artists (obviously)
    Swoon, Fafi, Sharon de la Cruz who just completed a mural of Ruby Bridges in the Bronx (http://bronx.news12.com/news/artist-sharon-de-la-cruz-creates-mural-on-bridge-off-bruckner-expressway-based-off-of-norman-rockwell-painting-to-illustrate-segregation-issues-1.6481395

    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131118/hunts-point/civil-rights-hero-commemorated-new-hunts-point-mural#slideshow_modal_slot_1)

    ReplyDelete