Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Semester Project Proposal-The sexualization of women to promote media

I plan on doing an essay for my semester project. My paper will focus on women (beautiful) being used in all forms of media whether it be commercials, TV programs ,movies to promote it or gain viewers and higher ratings to make money. I will discuss how movies like Transformers used actresses like Megan Fox to gain more viewers due to her attractiveness and sex appeal.  There are also movies like Tomb Raider, Super Bowl commercials, shows like charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lois and Clark. There are obviously a lot of TV shows that used the attractiveness of women to promote their shows for money and higher ratings. I plan on bringing a little bit of psychology into this paper. I want to compare all of this to the male gaze and women being objects for male pleasure. I want to get into the topic of women being captured as beautiful, sexually desirable throughout the course of time and how that seems to still be true today, of course the idea may have changed a little but, it is still there. I want to also compare this to examples from the middle ages and the Renaissance so I will draw references from there and compare the whole thing. By this I mean that I am going to compare different artworks throughout time that have women being sexualized and how the sexualization of a woman in an art piece was used to maybe sell more. I will focus on artist like Orlando and Cindy Sherman to get this point across.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a very broad topic. Is there any research that argues for ineffectiveness of female sexuailty as a marketing tool? I think most of us understand on a very basic level that the female body is used to sell everything. But the real question is, does it work better than advertising that appeals to intellect or simply highlights the product without selling sex?

    ReplyDelete