Monday, December 2, 2013

Semester Project (Summary)- The Sexualization of Women to Promote Media

My semester project focuses on the sexualization of women to promote the media. What motivated me to do this project on this topic was influenced by one of the post of my fellow classmates. She mentioned how popular films like transforms have objectified female actress like Megan Fox and Gwenth Paltrow to promote their movies. I initially thought that was pretty interesting. So when it came time to do the semester project I decided to focus my topic on that. This is a very broad topic and I understood that but I felt that it was so interesting I did not see myself writing about anything else. I had the thought if the sexualization of women had always existed and through research and this class I reached the conclusion that women have always been sexualized.  So I wanted to talk about this. We all have a basic understanding of how women are sexualized to promote products in today's society but what I wanted to address is this has always been the case and it has. Its just with all the technology we have today it is definitely on a much larger scale then it was years ago. I gave a couple of examples were women are sexualized in the media and I used various television shows, and films. I got into the topic of gender stereotypes being created because of the media's heavy advertisements in regards to what is beautiful or attractive.Obviously just giving these examples are not enough to back this up so I used paintings and artists we have observed throughout the course in order to support my argument. I feel with the input of Professor Cacoilo and Kevin Vazquez, one  of my classmates I was able to strengthen this essay. Doing this project and taking this course has just strengthened my views toward woman, that women are not just sexual or attractive that they are much more than that, they are also smart, hardworking, and equal to men and to see them as just sexual beings is highly ignorant. Woman fought to make a name for themselves and do the jobs that were classified to be for only men. Applying this to my future endeavors, I want to be a Doctor and doing this project has helped me to not see a female Doctor as not being capable or as smart as me because she is a woman because there is much more to females than just a pretty face. And that is what I have to say.


Blue Mountain State

http://www.pariscine.com/sites/default/files/posters/blue_mountain_state_s1.jpg


Charmed

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkLM2SlJAN7eBIZMHVi1cquxmGwsgqu7TANeQqV7zbuXuk5FBDWw


Lois and Clark

http://superman-wallpapers10.net/wp-content/uploads/images/ef/lois-clark.JPG


Megan Fox on Transformers 2

http://hdwallpaperer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/transformers_2_megan_fox.jpg


Link to Project

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjnV3CHHp7T7hWnyY3ikrhgTo73OaTIa5z7nBnJKIiI/edit?usp=sharing


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Dhif_X9CSZWFYtQ3pKOW9USGM/edit?usp=sharing




No comments:

Post a Comment